Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dining Room Re-do and China Hutch Transformation

I've been DIYing again.... scary, I know.  There are usually casualties and lots of brain cells that nearly explode each time I attempt it.  In all honesty, there are sometimes some tears, too.  I must say that this time, so far, it has gone pretty well.

I jokingly put on Facebook the other day that I wanted to re-do my entire home in blues, aqua, and greens.  I know those colors are very popular.  They have always been my favorites.  I got approval of such an attempt from several of my decorator friends.  Fabulous!   My teen-aged bedroom was decorated in those colors - wayyyyy back in the 70s.  I speak truth.

My living room, kitchen, and dining room are quite neutral.  I plan to continue to decorate with a lot of neutrals, because I think it is a classic look.  However, these rooms have too many browns, and the walls are a very light buttery color.  The dining room has a wall that is way too gold for me.  I eventually want to paint them all in a grays - since gray is the new cream. Haha.....

For the record, my living room has had turquoise/aqua in it for YEARS.  I was way ahead of the trend.  Yes, I was.  Proof:

My great-grandmother crocheted this beautiful doily in the late 1910s, and my grandmother framed it like this in the 1960s.  I never wanted to change it because I LOVED her bold style with that color, and I knew that some day I would have a room that matched it.  It has hung on my wall for years, even when it didn't match the decor because I'm bold that way.  Or, just lazy.  Or, sentimental?  Your guess.

I have had this hutch in my dining room since 1996, which I purchased at Salvation Army, with every intention of painting it, and every possible reason why I would mess it up.  So, I never tried, until Pinterest inspired me- yep!  Again! 



 I found information and inspiration from this blog, Lolly Jane:


I also found help on this one.  I really like Kimba's blog, "A Soft Place to Land" - I read it all the time!  Thanks, Kimba!  Here is one of her finished products:



She had a great tutorial on painting furniture.  I read many others as well.  Here is how I approached it:

I do not sand.  I bought Zinsser water-based Primer/Sealer.  I don't do oil-based paint, either. I'm a wimp.
I did two coats.  I really wanted it to be primed to death.  It took forevvvver.  I tried to tape off the many windows - didn't do great with that.  I had to do a lot of scraping afterwards.  Lesson learned.  Next time I think I'll just cut in.  I can often do that pretty well, but the tape I used kind of made it more frustrating.  I did not sand in-between primers.  Isn't that the point of using NO SANDING Primer?  Hmm.....


Sorry, some photos are a bit blurred from my Iphone.

I then used Valspar Crystal Aqua in their Signature line from Lowe's.  The paint lady at the store told me it would cover wonderfully.  It did ok.... I had to go over it in some areas where it didn't easily cover the primer.  In hindsight, I perhaps should have tried some of the Cabinet paint from Home depot or TruValue.  Apparently Lowe's doesn't have that type of line.

Here is the finished product:



The hardware is original all except the four round ones.  The knobs and pulls all match pretty well, I think.  Since I am NOT a very good photographer, the light doesn't really show very well what the color is.  Here is  a picture from my phone which shows the color a little better:


So, there you have it.  I love it very much!  I only spent 16 years hating it.  Great.

I also redid the tablescape on my antique buffet.  I have had this for about 25 years - it's at least 100, I think.  A woman gave it to me for $100 when it was worth WAY more.  She was moving to an RV and wanted it gone!  So, it went - straight to my house.  I love it.


Now it looks like this:


I dislike the wall color, but as I said it will eventually be painted.  I have been playing with these items to get the best look for them together.  I have been trading other things on and off the buffet to see what will work for now.  Got any suggestions?  I'm not sure sure if it works yet. I may get a table runner, too. What I really want it to look like is this, but I can't find the big vases/candleholders anywhere.  I went to about 5 stores.  Sigh.

Dollar store pillars in glass hurricanes!

Do you love this?  I love this window.  My friend, Kaylene, gave it to me a while back and I have been waiting for the right spot and right time to use it.  I love this:


So, there you have it.  I"m trying!

I am pleased with the progress.  I want the walls painted now.  They won't be, so.... 
I'll have to WAIT a little while.....

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, love!! You did a good job!! Thanks for sharing it with us and so happy we inspired you!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lolly Jane! Love your blog and all your great ideas!

      Delete
  2. I Love it!! I am SO impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job with everything so far. Keep up the good work! I am going to have to pop by for visit when I am in Maryland in a couple months and see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! We always love to see you! You can give me decorating advice!

      Delete
  4. I love it! Have you tried the dollar stores, Big Lots or Michaels for the Candle holder/vases thingy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Am'! I actually found to of those candle holder vases this morning at Homegoods! Now I need one more - chances of finding an exact match are slim, so I may have to improvise.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done! And without brain cell explosions! You do me proud. ;OD I LOVE the blue on the cabinet. Such a very happy color! Now you can come do our house! I am just about to start on my own DIY project that needs to be done very badly. Wish me patience. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M - I am certain whatever you do will be gorgeous! And,I send you patience.... just send it back when you're done. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Love it Deon...wish you lived closer to help me! I love the blues and greens too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you so, Linda!! Thanks - glad you like it!

      Delete

A little note from you? Thanks!