Today, L turned 20. We are passed the teen years. That makes me feel a bit old, and yet, pretty dang excited! I've thought a lot today about my/our journey with her, and thought I would list some of them.
My top 20 thoughts today about her, and for her, are these:
1. What would I do without your laugh? It is infectious.
2. You were the most beautiful baby girl - all eyelashes and eyebrows.
3. You have had to endure way more than most people have to endure in a lifetime. Some day we'll understand why. It has made us all stronger and more compassionate. Wow - well, maybe that's why?
4. I am grateful that we have found things to bond over - various TV shows, Disneyworld, politics, chocolate, singing in the car, kitties, sewing, and rolling our eyes at Dad.
5. I am confident that you will get over your current health problems (for curious readers, see this post, page down to December) and will be able to move on in your life.
6. Heavenly Father loves you and DOES watch over you. He waits for you to reach back to Him.
7. You have become amazingly skilled at calming yourself down during frustrating conversations and situations. Few 20 year-olds can do that. I can't even always do that.
8. I don't get the Anime thing - sorry. Don't hate me.
9. Your grandmother, Mayma, would be so very thrilled that you love to sew and to create costumes. Can we throw in a church skirt or something? Please?
10. Your father loves you more than you will ever realize. Please use that power for good.
11. Your memory for details truly amazes me.
12. I am so very happy that you embrace being different than most. It is endearing. It is admirable. I still don't get the anime thing, though.
13. You have the coolest room in the house for your bedroom. You're welcome.
14. Real life, while much more difficult that the role-play activities that you love, is harder, but better most of the time and worth the hard work to "get it".
15. My top birthday celebrations for you during your life were Disneyworld, the dress up party when you were 4, and today. Why today, you ask? Because you're here and I love you.
16. Routine is your friend.
18. Wear your Aspergirl Cape with pride and use it to right the wrongs towards Aspies everywhere.
19. Miracles brought you to us. Miracles have kept you with us. Miracles will take you along your life's path if you let them.
20. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true. It has blessed our family many times. You are one of those blessings. I love you so very, very much.