Saturday, February 9, 2008

It's Valentine's Week!

Richard is now calling himself “the third man” in my life since I posted about two others first on here, so I had better fix that...poor thing.
I love Valentine’s Day. It is my second favorite holiday, after Christmas. I did NOT like it when I was a teenager, nor when I was single, until I met Richard. We started dating seriously in January of “that” year, and got engaged a few days after Valentine’s Day (ok, yes, it was at BYU, but we had known each other many months by then…!). So, Valentine’s Day was coming up and since we were not engaged yet, I wondered and wondered what should I do for him? Anything? Would it be too soon or two forward? Would he be doing anything for me? Such a quandary…
I was doing my student teaching at the time, and wanted to make something for my 5th graders. I opted for large heart-shaped cookies with each one’s name on them. OH, wait! I could make some for Richard that look like those conversation heart candies! I could put messages on them – hmmm… what messages should I put? Do I DARE put “Love U”, or should it be "Love Ya"…?? Such decisions.
I made several for him, and opted for “Love YA”. He brought me flowers, and a heart-shaped pizza (only in Provo, right?) . We had a fun evening together… studying and taking breaks here and there. It must have worked – we got engaged 5 days later.
As we married and started life together, Valentines Day has always been significant. Richard is quite a romantic (refer to his blog – it may be hidden in there somewhere). During one of our first years of marriage he started “Valentine’s Week” (sometimes followed by “Birth Week”) and I would get sweet little surprises and tokens from him every day. I continued to make heart-shaped cookies with names on them for students when I was a teacher. When our kids were little, we made them for other people in our neighborhood or ward and delivered them to visiting teachees, the kids’ friends, or people we thought might need our attention. We still do it (ok, if you are reading this and you are in our ward now, DON’T be upset at me if you don’t get any!!).
So, friends – It’s Valentine’s Week!! What are you planning for your sweetie? Who is WAITING for you to give them a little “lift”? I promise it will “lift” you, too.

8 comments:

  1. Deon - I love the new blog! I have been thinking of what I could do for my VT this month and I think heart shaped cookies are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ash! Glad I can help you out across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my blog for a fun little idea for Valentine's Day it might be right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I came across your BLOG. So I see that maybe I wasn't one of the 'last' ones to jump on the blogging bandwagon. Tell the fam hi for me and by the way, those cookies are so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found it, too! I could resist no longer. I can't take credit for those photos of cookies - i just got them off the internet, mine are a little more plain with names on them.... but they TASTE amazing! Hugs to your fam. as well! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deon! I really enjoyed your post, and thanks for the TAG!!! When Josh and I were dating, I did the "Five Days of Valentines" like the "Twelve Days of Christmas." I could only afford to go up to 5 and would give him his big Day 5 on Valentines Day. (I think it was 5 pairs of socks.) I kept the tradition going for several years, but I haven't done it since we have had kids. Next year I will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deon, I just found your blog! I'm sure you've already found this whole blogging thing just sucks you in. And THANKS for the cookies! They are so cute and very yummy. Josh, especially, appreciates them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you found it! And, you are very welcome!

    ReplyDelete

A little note from you? Thanks!