Sunday, October 18, 2009

Down on the Reader

I have a love/hate relationship with Google Reader. When I first began my blog stalking about three years or so ago, I thought that THAT was my answer to all my problems!  What time I would save!  I would never miss another post again nor waste time hopping from blog to blog on a never-ending trail of discovery!!

Well, I currently have about 407 posts that I am behind on in my Google Reader.  No, really.  I follow many blogs that are about home decorating, creating, sewing, politics, etc. and every time I go out of town I get behind.  I have not been out of town now for about.....3 months.  Yet, I am still behind.   And, I have friends and family members whose blogs are private, and those don't show up in Google Reader.  So, I forget to check their blogs.  Sorry, private people - I am just one woman. 

With Google Reader I don't "go" to people's blogs as often.  I just read what they wrote.  But I am missing out on SOOO much that way!  I mean, how many of us fret over how cute our blog looks?  Are the colors right?  How primitive does my header look?  Ugh - I hate mine right now, but oh well.  With Google Reader, we miss the beauty of the blog.

So, if I have 407 blog posts that I am behind on reading, should I really have THAT many blogs that I subscribe to?  Or, does it show that I am really using my time efficiently by not just sitting down and reading them all?  Good questions, I say. 

I now make a pact with my fellow sister bloggers that I will come to your blog, not just read what you wrote, as often as I can.  It's only fair - we gotta unite where we can.  I also think it is time to weed out the weeds in my Google Reader.  Too much fluff. 

I think I will also write to Google Reader with my simple solution.  The Reader needs to also show the blog designs, colors, and gadgets when it feeds in, right?  Don't you think?  Perfect.

Will they listen to me?  Well, they SHOULD.  I am 50 now.

3 comments:

  1. Hehe :) I ALSO think they should allow you to see private blogs you have been invited too. It's all in the Google family, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same trouble with Google Reader (especially with the private blogs). I grow too complacent on admiring the blogposts from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could make you a cute header...let me know.

    ReplyDelete

A little note from you? Thanks!