Thursday, October 22, 2009

The O's Have it - Or Do They?

While I recently posted Elder Dallin H. Oaks' speech at BYU Idaho, I am not sure how many of you have seen the following, which I received from my son who attends that school:

Worst Person in the World

So, for those out there who perhaps think that Glenn Beck is a bit extreme in his treatment of Prez O and what is going on with the WH, just think about that a little bit. You may be reading this and not be LDS. So, I'll clarify a bit:

1. Olbermann didn't even get the name of the church correct, which proves the ignorance of his staff as well as his own. I can understand him picking on Glenn Beck, but isn't he talking out of both sides of his mouth when he is as hateful as they come?

2.  Doesn't the mere fact that he is bashing our religious beliefs prove some of Elder Oaks' talk, that religious beliefs are in peril?  Elder Oaks said, "A writer for The Christian Science Monitor predicts that the coming century will be “very secular and religiously antagonistic,” with intolerance of Christianity “ris[ing] to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes".

3.  Because of people like Olbermann, and because of many current government actions being taken that I fear and I disagree with , I am feeling quite challenged by this statement by Elder Oaks in this same speech (which Olbermann obviously did NOT hear nor read):

First, we must speak with love, always showing patience, understanding and compassion toward our adversaries. We are under command to love our neighbor (Luke 10:27), to forgive all men (Doctrine and Covenants 64:10), to do good to them who despitefully use us (Matthew 5:44) and to conduct our teaching in mildness and meekness (Doctrine and Covenants 38:41).

Ok, so I know what I need to work on....

1 comment:

  1. I thought Elder Oaks was exactly right, religion is being attacked and it's one of my biggest pet peeves. What I have wondered for awhile now is how liberals think they are being so so open and tolerant when they can't respect religious beliefs.

    On a side note: I have hated Olbermann for years.

    ReplyDelete

A little note from you? Thanks!